[On a side note, I had written this post the other day and when I went to add pictures from my phone I somehow deleted the whole post. Silly problems like these discourage me from blogging. I have enough troubles trying to write without having to rewrite it.]
Earlier this afternoon I started to worry about not being able to complete the quilt I had linked to A Lovely year of Finishes because I have been working furiously on two baby quilts. And then I realized "it's only the 7th!" Silly me. I feel like so much time has passed since getting back home from Christmas with my family. I started working on a new baby boy quilt. I got the idea from Camille from The Bonnie&Camille designers for Moda. She had done a single star block quilt with Michael Millers dumb dots and his bicycles as backing. So I searched for a free star block and I made my own star from Faith at Fresh Lemon Quilts.
The first one I was pretty proud of but thought it was too small just to have one on the whole quilt front so I decided to make 3 more. I don't know where I went wrong, but I kept coming up short on the outside quarter inch. I eventually have up. Now I have a 15 inch star block and a yard of bicycles. I might just make it into a wall hanging for my boys room and make a minky blanket with the bicycles. Or I might start over with this new block I found. It is in three different sizes: 24, 32, or 40" block. You can find the tutorial here.
Once I got over being devastated from failing on my first try at paper piecing I got my Gypsy Girl charm pack in the mail. I had picked it up for $2.50 on Missouri Star Quilt Co. over the Christmas break on one of their daily deals. I really should have bought more. The moment I started looking through all the fabrics I fell in love. The flowers and birds and all the colors are so cute and girly. I searched around for an easy charm pack pattern and found this one on Moda Bake Shop. I quickly put the pinwheels together, but as I was trimming them I realized that 5 of them were clockwise and the other 7 were counter clockwise. Another bump in the road!
After fretting over if I should rip out the five and fix them, I finally decided to just rip apart one so I would have six of each. After arranging them this way and adding the sashing I am feeling better. Hopefully I can finish up this part tonight and start working on the borders and prairie points tomorrow.
My to do list for the rest of the month:
1. Complete my crazy 9 patch square for the swap
2. Sandwich, quilt, and bind my Lemon Squares quilt for the Lovely Year of Finishes
3. 2 blocks for the bee host for We bee With It--whenever they send the information.
Check back later to see how things are going :)