Saturday, June 29, 2013


So, I've been missing in action for a little while. First I was just busy with the kids at the pool and library, just enjoying summer. Then I had some family come into town. And I was procrastinating some of my bee blocks. Why is it some months I just have no inspiration for the blocks requested? Well that happened, but I finally kicked myself in the butt and finished them up this weekend. So to make up for my little hiatus, here are a bunch of pictures from what I have been working on:
Simply solids June
Simply Solids Viridian Bee
Inspire progress
Waiting for a few more blocks to finish up Inspire at do. good Stitches quilt

We bee with it June
We Bee With It -- A "modern" bee
Jungle patchwork progress
Finished piecing this just the other day, but haven't gotten finished pictures
Inspire June
June Blocks for Inspire at do. good Stitches
And less than 24 hours later she's done! Thanks @jenib320 for the tutorial. Now onto the back. Tonight? Challenge accepted.
Finished this star Notting Hill quilt in under 24 hours. I am hoping to finish the backing this weekend!
Oh! And more exciting news: I made 2 dresses while my grandma was in town, so keep an eye out for a post about those later this week after I can snap better pictures :)

Linking up with Crazy Mom Quilts

Saturday, June 8, 2013

Fabulous Friday of Finishes

I finished 3 projects Friday, but I didn't get the pictures until this afternoon. But I still feel so proud of myself. All throughout May I kept procrastinating the things I needed to get done, so I just wouldn't sew at all. And lately I've had some troubles with my bees (cue complaints about the block I chose for my month, that I didn't send enough fabric, and so on and so on). I've definately been in a sewing FUNK. But after some time cleaning up my blog to make it look pretty (don't you love my new, clean look? I do!), I sat down and did some sewing.
First I finished this cute library bag. I actually finished hand stitching the binding on this morning and did the main bulk of the work yesterday.

I used my Bernina's alphabet stitches to quilt inspirational quotes related to reading and books. I've seen cute quilts where they FMQ quotations, but I'm not that confident in myself yet, and it would have to be a bigger project than a book bag.

The other side is an adorable Alexander Henry print (funny story: I ordered this in February but it was put on back order and I forgot I had ordered it when it showed up on my doorstep one day late April.). I just traced around some of the books because I didn't want to distract from the adorable-ness of the fabric.

 Then I put the binding on the top of of each side and forgot that I had to add handles. Doh! But I think they work pretty well this way too. Then added a little bias binding to the edge and here it is! I wanted it good sized (I always get a bunch of books when I go to the library) and on that same note I wanted a comfortable strap, so it is extra wide and has batting too.

And my adorable boys cooperated a little and took some pictures for mommy.

Next off my list is this adorable Les Amis Scout quilt.

 I got the inspiration from Cluck Cluck Sew (see original blog post here). I had finished quilting about a week or two ago, and never got around to binding it. I chopped up some cute grey wood fabric from the line at 2.25" and attached it to the back first. Then I pull it around to the front and top stitch it down. It looks cute in the front and the back has a little parallel line of stitches, but this is the easiest way for me to get it looking good. And look at those corners! They are my best ones yet! I made a t-shirt transfer label, but it wasn't the best quality. I think I am finally happy with my name/label/header thingy so I am going to get a yard of labels printed and start putting them on everything. =P

Quilt Stats
Pattern: Cluck Cluck Sew's Scout I didn't follow exactly with the baby or throw size, I ended up somewhere in between
Fabric: Les Amis by Patty Sloniger (I purchased mine from Quilted Thimble Cottage. They were nice enough to cut my 1/4 yards in strips instead of fat quarters, so it would be easier for this pattern.)
Thread: Gutterman
Quilting: By me on my Bernina. FMQ some lines echoing the angles within each columns.
Finished Size: about 36" x 52"

And my third finish for the day:
Just a little apron that I almost had finished, but just needed to hem the ties. This third finish just made me feel so accomplished! Don't you just love days when you get things done? They are the best!

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

June Goal

I didn't meet my goal last month (again...), so this month I am setting a few loose goals and one main one for my ALYoF goal.

1. Finish my Jungle Patchwork top. I've got all the squares cut and pieced into pairs, so it shouldn't be too hard. This will be my biggest quilt though at a twin size.

(The rest of these are if I have some free time)
2. I just bought some adorable fabric from my LQS to make 2 new baby boy quilts. I want to at least get these planned out and cut.
3. Make 2 wallets-one for a friend and one for my aunt
4. Finish apron for a friend's birthday
5. Don't buy any more fabric! I almost did it last month, but I gave in right near the end. I already spent my budget for this month...woopsies!
6. I got these scraps with my pillow from the PTS and I think there is enough to make another cover for my odd ugly green rectangle pillow that I have on my couch right now. They will look cute together!