Thursday, May 23, 2013

Get your Hex on June!

I can't believe it is already my turn! I wanted to venture out of the hexagon world a little. At first I was going to do a quilt as you go hexagon block, but once I saw these octagons, I decided I wanted to go this route.
So here is my plan...
I've printed and cut 2.5 inch octagons and I am going to send each person one page's worth of hexagons and squares. I've included 3 blocks so you just have to cut 9 low volume fabrics at 3.25 inch square. Use any solid white/cream for the squares and then sew them into this configuration.

Octagons!
Sew the rows of octagons together, add the squares in the corners, then add those rows together.

My definition of low volume for this quilt: it should have a mainly white background but it can have any accent color. I've put together a mosaic of fabrics that are acceptable (and I don't have any of these so feel free to use them)

Here is some more inspiration from Red Pepper Quilts. 

I hope you have fun doing something a little different! If you have any questions feel free to ask :)


2 comments:

Lisa said...

Thanks so much for this, it does help. I'm hoping to get a little sewing done this weekend if this ")*^#^*%$@&* /trigger thumb will let me) meet with the surgeon on Wednesday to schedule surgery... Not quick enough!

Ann @thequiltingcats said...

Mine may be a little late. Got back in town on Tueday from dealing with family issues out in Phoenix. Starting these today. Have low volume scraps... so it should be fun! :)